Youth Reading List Fall 2020
Fall 2020 Grace Youth Reading Plan
How to use:
- This reading plan is for your benefit to give you a place to start, use it however it works best for you.
- To get the most our of it, I suggest this: Choose a prayer to start, read the passage, ponder the passage with the questions below (all questions may not apply to every passage), and then pray again about what you learned.
- Use a notebook or journal to organize your thoughts.
- Do your best, but if you miss a day, do not be disheartened! It is okay. The passages are small so they are easy to catch up on or you can keep with the calendar and just skip it.
- Another option is to invite your family/friends into this daily reading with you so you all can discuss and grow together.
- I will be going through this plan and reading the passages along with you. If any questions come up during your readings or if there is anything you would like to discuss more in depth, please do not hesitate to reach out and ask.
Helpful Hint: a good way to keep yourself accountable to the readings and share the Gospel with those around you, is to share verses that stand out to you on social media.
That does not mean you have to share a verse each day (you can if you want!), but share the verses that really have an impact on you, because they can have just as much of an impact (sometimes more) on others.
Sharing verses can also be a great conversation starter with friends and/or family who don’t know Jesus.
Prayers (From the Occasional Prayers in the Book of Common Prayer):
- A PRAYER OF SELF-DEDICATION William Temple
Almighty and eternal God, so draw our hearts to you, so guide our minds, so fill our imaginations, so control our wills, that we may be wholly yours, utterly dedicated to you; and then use us, we pray, as you will, and always to your glory and the welfare of your people; through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.
- FOR DESIRING GOD Francis Xavier
O God, grant that we may desire you, and desiring you seek you, and seeking you find you, and finding you be satisfied in you for ever. Amen.
- FOR GUIDANCE
Go before us, O Lord, in all our doings with your most gracious favor, and further us with your continual help; that in all our works begun, continued, and ended in you, we may glorify your holy Name, and finally, through your mercy, obtain everlasting life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
- FOR DAILY GROWTH Richard of Chichester
Thanks be to thee, my Lord Jesus Christ, for all the pains and insults thou hast borne for me, and all the benefits thou hast given me. O most merciful Redeemer, Friend, and Brother: Grant that I may see thee more clearly, love thee more dearly, and follow thee more nearly, day by day. Amen.
- FOR SEEKING GOD Anselm of Canterbury
Teach me to seek you, and as I seek you, show yourself to me; for I cannot seek you unless you show me how, and I will never find you unless you show yourself to me. Let me seek you by desiring you, and desire you by seeking you; let me find you by loving you, and love you in finding you. Amen.
- FOR GRACE TO SEEK GOD IN EVERY WAY Benedict of Nursia
Gracious and holy Father, please give me intellect to understand you, reason to discern you, diligence to seek you, wisdom to find you, a spirit to know you, a heart to meditate upon you, ears to hear you, eyes to see you, a tongue to proclaim you, a way of life pleasing to you, patience to wait for you, and perseverance to look for you. Grant me a perfect end, your holy presence, a blessed resurrection, and life everlasting. Amen.
- FOR SUBMISSION TO GOD’S WILL Joseph Mercier
O Holy Spirit, beloved of my soul, I adore you. Enlighten me, guide me, strengthen me, console me. Tell me what I should do; give me your orders. I promise to submit myself to all that you desire of me and to accept all that you permit to happen to me. Let me only know your will. Amen.
- BEFORE THE READING OF SCRIPTURE
Blessed Lord, who caused all Holy Scriptures to be written for our learning: Grant us so to hear them, read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest them, that by patience and the comfort of your Holy Word we may embrace and ever hold fast the blessed hope of everlasting life, which you have given us in our Savior Jesus Christ; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
- In your own words summarize what you just read?
- What stood out to you?
- What does this tell me about Jesus?
- What does this tell me about God?
- What does this tell me about Holy Spirit?
- Where do I have questions?/What don’t I understand?