This is a reflection on the lesson that was taught for youth on Friday. To start please reread James 2:14-26. Feel free to use this reflection individually or do this as a family, take notes, write down questions about the passage, and really take some time for you and God. I hope this will bless you in these uncertain times. Feel free to ask questions
James 2:14-26 Hint: Use context clues ;)
- Let's define terms: What is faith? What are works?
- Do you need both?
- In verse 18, we see two kinds of faith. How are they described and what makes them different?
- So are both needed?
- Who is Abraham?
- How did these actions demonstrate Abraham’s faith?
- So what came first for Abraham, faith or works? Its like the chicken and the egg but has a definitive answer.
- Can you think any other examples of something like this?
- Who was Rahab?
- What did she do?
- Since you have gone through defining the terms and seen examples, Ill ask the question again, what comes first faith or works?
- How do faith and works intertwine?
Reflect on your own life. Do you often do certain action just cause or do they have a purpose? Are you doing a certain thing to please God? Take a look at all of your actions today, why did you do certain things? Take a look at the week? How often does your faith in God guide your actions? Take some time in prayer to reflect on this.